I'll admit, my cravings for food can be a bit ridiculous at times and s'mores are no exception. I don't know what it is, but the faintest smell of campfire has me craving this summer staple. There's something so nostalgic about s'mores around a campfire, that even as the temperatures drop I find myself craving this classic fireside treat. Thankfully, I stumbled across this recipe and it's been a favorite ever since.
LAYERED S'MORE BARS
|18||whole graham crackers, crumbled into small pieces|
|2||cups crispy rice cereal|
|1||cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup|
|⅓||cup brown sugar|
|2||tablespoons butter OR margarine|
|½||teaspoon baking soda|
|½||teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract|
|6||(1.55 oz. each) milk chocolate candy bars|
|1||package (10 oz.) mini marshmallows|
|⅓||cup mini chocolate chips|
- Combine crackers with cereal in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Cook corn syrup and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil just around edges. Remove from heat; stir in butter, baking soda and vanilla. (OR in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl, microwave on HIGH for about 2 minutes or until syrup boils.)
- Pour syrup over cereal mixture and stir to coat completely. Transfer to a greased 13 x 9-inch pan; press firmly to level. Place chocolate bars in a single layer over cereal mixture; sprinkle with marshmallows.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed and lightly browned. Remove from oven and top with mini chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour until firm; cut into squares. Store in tightly closed container for up to 2 days.