Monday, June 23, 2014
Citrus Beet Salad
Last week I was gifted garden fresh beets, so I decided to try something new and came up with this citrus beet salad. Surprisingly, up until now I had never tried beets before, but I am always up for trying something new and I am so glad I did! This unique salad combines a variety of flavors and textures, making it fun to eat and the perfect Summer side dish. Also, this may be the most visually appealing salad I have ever made, and as a bonus, it gets even more beautiful as you eat it because the beet juice starts dying everything pink. You just can't beet it! (Haha I'm sorry, but I had to sneak in a pun!)
CITRUS BEET SALAD
• 4-5 beets
• 1 large grapefruit
• 1 orange
• 1/2 avocado; sliced
• 1/4 red onion; thinly sliced
• parsley; for garnish
• cojita cheese
• 2 Tbs white wine vinegar
• 2 Tbs prepared horseradish
• 1 Tbs olive oil
• 2 tsp. honey
• 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Wrap each washed, but unpeeled, beet in foil.
2. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in center of oven until fork-tender, 60 to 75 min.
3. Slice tops and bottoms off both the grapefruit and orange. Cut off and discard peels, including white pith, so flesh is showing. Slice into rounds.
4. Whisk vinegar with horseradish, oil, honey and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
5. When beets are tender, remove from oven. Unwrap. When beets are cool enough to handle, trim root ends and peel. Slice into rounds.
6. Arrange warm beets, grapefruit, orange, avocado and onion slices on a plate and drizzle with prepared dressing. Garnish with fresh parsley and cojita cheese to taste.
Photography, design and styling by Jessica of SAS + ROSE. Recipe adapted from here.
© SAS+ROSE. All rights reserved.